Friday, April 11, 2008

Catching Up

So quite a bit has happened since I last posted. On March 18th I had an accident at work. I'll quote the report that my co-worker submitted, he describes it best:


Yesterday, March 18, 2008 at approximately 10:30am, a delivery driver came to the Security Office and indicated that he had a large shipment for MTS Company X. This turned out to be a HP Blade Chassis to be used in the MTS Company X infrastructure. The drivers name was Joe, and the company name is Speedy Transport.

MTS Allstream security called and told me that there was a large delivery for MTS Company X at the loading dock. At the time I was with Massimo, Chris and Leisa; in Leisa’s office looking at two firewalls required for a MTS Company X build. We all decided to go to the loading dock and see what had arrived. The driver opened the truck, and pointed out the large box on a skid that was for MTS Company X. It was the blade chassis; and weighed a few hundred pounds. Seeing this, I went to the storage room to grab the Allstream pump truck so that we could move the equipment into the datacentre.

The driver put a pipe; used to block the back of his truck and prevent equipment from sliding around, from the back of the truck and placed it against the wall. It was leaning against the rolling doors tracks. He then brought in the blade chassis box and left it on the loading dock floor, and removed his pump truck in preparation for putting in back on his truck. I came back at that moment and stood in the doorway to the loading dock with the Allstream pump truck. Leisa bent down to look at the shipping box. At that moment, the bar started to slide down the wall towards me, just as I turned to look at it. Massimo gave warning that the bar was slipping; and seeing it out of the corner of my eye, I put up a hand to protect myself. The bar glanced off my hand, giving me a bit of a scrape and nicked my head, although it did not have enough momentum to really do damage. However, by glancing off my hand and head the bar was deflected towards the middle of the room. Massimo and Chris both attempted to grab the bar, but, missed. Leisa was just starting to straighten out as a result of the warning when the bar came down on her head.

Leisa immediately fell to the ground holding her head; and Chris, Massimo and I went to check on her condition. After a few minutes on the loading dock, we assisted Leisa into the building. She sat in the hall, holding her head for awhile, before saying that she was feeling dizzy. Fearing a possible concussion, Chris Bowes took her to the hospital to be checked.

You should be able to pull the video surveillance from the loading dock to see the events.


Well, that wasn't fun. 6 hours in the hospital, they for some reason had it down as a 'headache'. I took the following day off work and then they sent me home early on the day I did return to work. Ah well, I'm none the worse for wear.

A day before that I had a dentist's appointment. There was still quite a bit of snow on the ground and on the sides of roads. When I arrived at my Dentist's office, I watched some moron park in the driveway, taking up both spots. So I had to drive down the street to find street parking:


View Larger Map

So I parked at the end of the road, across from the school on what I thought was a solid chunk of snow. I walked to the office, had my teeth serviced, then returned to my car to discover I was stuck and stuck good. I tried rocking the car a bit, but my left front wheel was in a very huge rut that was so deep that the undercarriage of my car was resting on ice. Some guy tried to help push me out, but apparently (according to him) he had a hernia and couldn't really push. So I went back to the office and I asked for a phone so I could call a tow truck.

Well, the secretary there just wouldn't have it at all. She insisted that they could help. She went and got my Dentist and the three of us trooped down the street to look at things. She went back for mats and cardboard while Dr Kivlichan and I tried to rock the car out again. She returned, placed the cardboard and mats then the two of them tried to push me out. Now, I've never had to rock my car back and forth before so I wasn't very good at it. So I asked my Dentist if he'd ever driven manual transmission before, to which he answered yes. I then asked him to drive! He hopped in and the two of us girls, now with another guy who stopped to help, managed to push my car out! It was incredible to get help from such kind people. I sent them a bouquet of flowers the following day.

I received a voice mail on Tuesday the 18th from the Michelle, the secretary thanking me for the flowers. Feels good. Just good.

No comments: